By 1800 Uxbridge had become one of the most important market towns in Middlesex, helped by its status as the first stopping point for stagecoaches travelling from London to Oxford.The development of Uxbridge declined after the opening of the Great Western Railway in 1838, which passed through West Drayton.
It is a significant retail and commercial centre, and is the location of Brunel University and the Uxbridge campus of Buckinghamshire New University.
The town is close to the boundary with Buckinghamshire, which is locally the River Colne.
The building subsequently became the Old Bill public house in 1996, renamed the Fig Tree in 2006.
In the early 1900s the Uxbridge and District Electricity Supply Company had been established in Waterloo Road, and much of the town was connected by 1902, although some houses still had gas lighting in 1912.
The eventual owners of the brewery, Courage, closed the headquarters in 1964.